That’s what the Political Coordinates Test tells me. Though barely: I’m 14% to the right, and 47% along the vertical axis. According to the more popular (if more problematic) Political Compass test that’s been around forever, I’m exactly at the center of the horizontal axis. Maybe this one is more accurate, but it will take some getting used to thinking of myself as right-leaning.
Here’s how I answered the 36 questions:
1. Taxpayer money should not be spent on arts or sports. Strongly disagree.
2. Some countries and civilizations are natural enemies. Agree.
3. Overall, the minimum wage does more harm than good. Agree.
4. Import tariffs on foreign products are a good way to protect jobs in my country. Strongly disagree.
5. Western civilization has benefited more from Christianity than from the ideas of Ancient Greece. Disagree.
6. Immigration to my country should be minimized and strictly controlled. Strongly disagree.
7. Prostitution should be legal. Strongly agree.
8. A strong military is a better foreign policy tool than a strong diplomacy. Strongly disagree.
9. Free trade is better for third-world countries than developmental aid. Strongly agree.
10. There is at heart a conflict between the interest of business and the interest of society. Neutral. (Equally true or false, depending on circumstances.)
11. Homosexual couples should have all the same rights as heterosexual ones, including the right to adopt. Strongly agree.
12. It is legitimate for nations to privilege their own religion over others. Disagree.
13. Marijuana should be legal. Strongly agree.
14. A country should never go to war without the support of the international community. Disagree.
15. People who turn down a job should not be eligible for unemployment benefits from the government. Agree.
16. The government should set a cap on the wages of bankers and CEOs. Disagree.
17. Medically assisted suicide should be legal. Strongly agree.
18. Speculation on the stock exchange is less desirable than other kinds of economic activity. Neutral.
19. Surveillance and counter-terrorism programs have gone too far. Agree.
20. It almost never ends well when the government gets involved in business. Agree.
21. Capital punishment should be an option in some cases. Agree.
22. There are too many wasteful government programs. Neutral. (Many good ones, many bad ones.)
23. Rehabilitating criminals is more important than punishing them. Disagree.
24. Monarchy and aristocratic titles should be abolished. Strongly agree.
25. The government should provide healthcare to its citizens free of charge. Agree. (Though it’s a complex issue. I believe it should provide free health insurance for catastrophic health coverage and then have people pay for other healthcare.)
26. Overall, security leaks like those perpetrated by Edward Snowden and WikiLeaks do more harm than good. Strongly disagree.
27. Overall, labor unions do more harm than good. Disagree.
28. The market is generally better at allocating resources than the government. Neutral. (Depending on the issue, both the market and the government have their place and strengths in allocating resources.)
29. The government should redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor. Disagree.
30. If people want to drive without a seat belt, that should be their decision. Agree.
31. Government spending with the aim of creating jobs is generally a good idea. Disagree. (Fighting inflation and other root-cause solutions are better.)
32. If an immigrant wants to fly the flag of his home country on my country’s soil, that’s okay with me. Agree. (By “okay with me”, I mean that I’m okay with it legally. It’s what the First Amendment guarantees.)
33. Equality is more important than economic growth. Strongly agree.
34. Some peoples and religions are generally more trouble than others. Neutral. (Disagree about peoples, but strongly agree about religions; some religions oppose the values of a free and humane society more than others.)
35. My country should give more foreign and developmental aid to third-world countries. Disagree.
36. We need to increase taxes on industry out of concern for the climate. Agree.