There are strong parallels between Stranger Things 3 and my fanfiction series written over the course of last year. I wrote my stories with no knowledge at all of what would happen in season 3, so these similarities are striking to say the least.
1. El dumps Mike, at the engineering of Hopper. In the TV series (episodes 1 & 2), Hopper manipulates Mike, and also threatens him, in order to break up the relationship between him and Eleven. In my story, Hopper manipulates Eleven rather than Mike, in order to achieve the same goal. In each case the person being manipulated by Hopper doesn’t come clean: in the TV series, Mike starts avoiding El but lies about his reasons for doing so, to which she responds by “dumping his ass”. In my story, El tells Mike that she needs to break up with him, but won’t say why, which breaks his heart.
2. Will Byers is either gay or asexual. The TV series (episode 3) strongly implies that Will is either gay or asexual, since he has no interest in girls. In my story, Will is asexual.
3. Dangers of the Void. In the TV series (episode 6), Mike warns Eleven of the dangers of communing with Billy in the Void. She has only tried this once before, when she accessed the memories of her mother in season 2 (and her mother was a willing subject who wanted to show El what Dr. Brenner did to her). Sure enough, when El accesses Billy’s memories, he is able to latch onto her mind, and see where she is in Hopper’s cabin. In my story (the murder mystery of Black Rose), El warns Hopper of the same dangers, when he wants her to access the memories of a comatose hospital victim. She tells her father that the victim may rebel against her intrusion or even die from shock. Sure enough, that almost happens; the victim’s monitors bleep momentarily, though she doesn’t end up dying.
4. El loses her psychic powers, thanks to a creature of the Upside Down. In the TV series (episode 8), El loses her powers for at least three months, after a piece of the Mind Flayer gets in her leg. In my story, she loses her powers for two days (January 22-24, 1987), when she’s snared on the shadow tree and injected with anti-psychic sap.
5. El leaves Hawkins. In the TV series (episode 8), Joyce moves out of Hawkins, taking Will, Jonathan, and El. In my story, Hopper (who survives the Battle of Starcourt) leaves Hawkins with El (in April, 1987), when he takes a job as Sheriff of Yamhill County in Oregon.